Saturday, March 7, 2009

Step 17 - Electrical

Today was a roller coaster. I realized that in order to paint the clear coat I need significantly more protection than what I had. That clear coat is really nasty stuff. So I had to run over to the supply shop and get a full face mask with glass face shield and heavy duty filters. Two hundred and two dollars later, I was on my way back home. The wind was terrible today so there was no way I was gonna get any painting done and it became more evident to me that I really could not paint the clear in a garage anyway. It is extremely unsafe and it's very bad on the surface to have that much dust flying around. I really need a clean room with filtration and adequate lighting.

I called around and found a place that rents a booth for $45 which was great, except they didnt have a slot open until wed or thurs.

Then we found one on base. What a wonderful benefit of having a a retired colonel as a Dad. Full military perks. they've got a booth on base and it rents ridiculously cheap. and it was wide open. So we rushed home to pack shit up and head over.

Half way through packing up I remembered that I couldn't clear coat the tank and tail yet, because I still had to redo the black base coat. So we decided it was best to just wait until Tuesday in order to do it all in one shot. So we unloaded the truck and decided to check on the electrical system with the new LED turn signals.

That turned out to be a very frustrating experience. there was just no way that we could figure out, either by following the directions or coming up with our own ideas that we could get the lights to both blink when it was time to blink and stay on as running lights the rest of the time.
I might have some defective parts but I have no idea so now I get to wait until Monday so I can call support over at the place I got the lights from and ask if I'm doing something stupid or if something is messed up.

I did, however, get the replacement bulb for the Angel Eye light and finished that install and those look kick ass. I was going to do a custom wiring job on that too so that they were on all the time and then when I hit my high beams, then both the headlines would come on. The idea being that normally, I could drive around with just the angel eyes on and not have that one constantly ON headlight messing up the light. I'm not even sure if that's legal yet. And given the horrible electric day I had today I might not mess with it that much.

ok I'm exhausted after being up until 330a this morning. its time to veg for a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment